[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 7 dependency in extensions

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Tue Jan 20 03:51:50 CET 2015

On 2015-01-20 13:22, Charles Brunet wrote:

[...]
> In other words, if the extension works with 7.0, can I assume it will
> also
> work with 7.x, or should I recheck the compatibility (and release an
> new
> version) for each new minor version of TYPO3?

Hi Charles,

Great, that someone else brings this up, too :-)
We had a brief discussion in the ECT list about this topic:

http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2014-December/004152.html

At this point in time, the legitimate max version in the 7.x
branch of TYPO3 is: 7.999.999.

Jigal explained this by the fact, that 7.x versions are not
considered as separate releases and it we can not ask extension
developers to provide an update every 2-3 months.

My argument is, that this allows developers to claim, that their
extensions work in TYPO3 versions, which have not been released
(even developed) yet.

This puts us in a position, where we will likely see extensions
in the TER which are marked to be compatible with a specific
TYPO3 version, but if an integrator installs the extensions,
it may break.

http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2014-December/004154.html

I would appreciate any feedback, comments, thoughts from the
dev community on that :-)

Cheers
Michael