[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 7 dependency in extensions

bernd wilke t3ng at bernd-wilke.net
Tue Jan 20 08:32:38 CET 2015

Am 20.01.15 um 03:51 schrieb Michael Schams:
> On 2015-01-20 13:22, Charles Brunet wrote:
>
> [...]
>> In other words, if the extension works with 7.0, can I assume it will
>> also
>> work with 7.x, or should I recheck the compatibility (and release an new
>> version) for each new minor version of TYPO3?
>
> Hi Charles,
>
> Great, that someone else brings this up, too :-)
> We had a brief discussion in the ECT list about this topic:
>
> http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2014-December/004152.html
>

> At this point in time, the legitimate max version in the 7.x
> branch of TYPO3 is: 7.999.999.
>
> Jigal explained this by the fact, that 7.x versions are not
> considered as separate releases and it we can not ask extension
> developers to provide an update every 2-3 months.
>
> My argument is, that this allows developers to claim, that their
> extensions work in TYPO3 versions, which have not been released
> (even developed) yet.
>
> This puts us in a position, where we will likely see extensions
> in the TER which are marked to be compatible with a specific
> TYPO3 version, but if an integrator installs the extensions,
> it may break.
>
> http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-team-extension-coordination/2014-December/004154.html
>

> I would appreciate any feedback, comments, thoughts from the
> dev community on that :-)

you always have the possibility that a new (security) update may come
with breaking chnages and that extensions stop working well.
so you can get no warranty for any future versions.
the question may be: what version-dependency will be accepted when the
extension is to be installed.

I would like to see the version dependencies of an extensions be solid
about which versions of TYPO3 have been tested and I can decide if I
ignore the dependency and use an extension 'out of range'

so a valid dependency declaration on uploading an extension to TER would
only be the latest released version.

for searching the TER it would be optimal to have the possibility to
select a version-range for compatibility of extensions
	on typo3.org default to the latest LTS,
	and in an installation set to the current main version:
		4.5.*, 6.2.* or 7.*.*

and while installing an extension there might be a warning about version
mismatch, but no strict prohibition, where you need to patch the version
dependency to get it installed anyway.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html