[TYPO3-core] RFC: core speedup

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Tue Mar 28 16:16:45 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> Finally I would like to notify that I know very well the urge to fix
> things that "hurts my eyes".

That was rather the case here ...

> Sometimes I also allow myself to do it -
> just to satisfy that inner need for beauty. But I also realized that
> it can easily distract me from what is important. I think the same
> may apply in this case (unless above criteria for practicality can be
> proved).

You must know I programmed microprocessors before ... and developed hardware
myself ... by wiring 74LSxxx gates (simple logic-chips. such as this: Shift register :)
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet.php?article=606647 )

And therefor I know how pow() and <</>> is handled internally. And what we want is:
"bitmasks" ... I already posted an excerpt from the php manual whichs states that under
certain circumstances pow can also return a float instead of an int ...

So this is rather "cosmetical" - so no one of the linux-kernel guys looks into our source
code and start's questioning if we don't know how to handle bitmasks ...

I'm sure there are a lot of things I don't want to put my hands into ... like this DB stuff
Karsten handles all the time ... but if it comes to mathematics and boolean logic I'm a little
bit "fanatic" ....

I don't know how many "complext" if conditions with many && and || we have in the core
but there is a algebraic method to simplify those ... It's called Karnaugh-Veit map/diagramm:

en: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map
de: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh-Diagramm

> Happy 4.0-release-party!

I'm already using it on one system which will go into production soon ... this time there were no
obvious problem and it runs like a charm ...

greets,
Bernhard
- --
"Freiheit ist immer auch die Freiheit des Andersdenkenden"
Rosa Luxemburg, 1871 - 1919