[TYPO3-core] RFC: core speedup

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Tue Mar 28 11:11:59 CEST 2006

Hi Dmitry.

> Many slow pieces slow down the whole system. Sometimes significantly.

Many nit-picking issues slows down our overall progress as
developers. Sometimes significantly.

> That code is far from optimal.

I agree but I just don't care unless you can show practical
significance and not just theoretical.

Care for optimization while you write new code if anything.

> I understand that we have even more time consuming places in the code,
> but generally this is not a reason to keep such obvious performance
> killers.

_Yes_ it is. We are always short of time. We will never be able to
fix everything. And as Ingmar points out the code is at a very
significant place in the system which by todays standards would
require us to produce unit tests that can verify that what we changed
didn't change behavior. It's not a simple thing. Its risky. (I
wouldn't care if this was in the direct mail module)

And it is not just about if pow(2,x) or >> is faster. It's also about
PHP: I always use functionality in PHP which I have used before and
know how works. While in theory things should work the same they
don't always in reality. I'm being conservative in order to reduce
the risks of bugs. Once I couldn't imagine that "kasper"==0 is TRUE!

So must prioritize. The pow(2,x) issue comes out pretty week then.
Optimize the database indexes or something else instead. That
couldn't even lead to security bugs.

> Kasper, any chances that your decision can be changed?

For 4.0: Absolutely not.
For 4+: Only if there are practical reasons to. So you must prove
that performance is gained. Otherwise I will insist that we leave it
be so we can all be reminded that we are here to solve problems of a
higher order and not get obsessed with details that only programmers
enjoy.

Finally I would like to notify that I know very well the urge to fix
things that "hurts my eyes". Sometimes I also allow myself to do it -
just to satisfy that inner need for beauty. But I also realized that
it can easily distract me from what is important. I think the same
may apply in this case (unless above criteria for practicality can be
proved).

Happy 4.0-release-party!

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"