[TYPO3-core] RFC: MM_foreign_select

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sun Mar 12 11:26:15 CET 2006

Karsten Dambekalns <karsten at typo3.org> writes on
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 07:42:28 +0100 (MET):

> Hi.
>
> On Wednesday 08 March 2006 16:23, Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> > Don't use fullQuoteStr on anything else than values!
>
> Right.
>

> > TYPO3 lacks a quoteIdentifier function. I write one once, but
> > stopped to
> > write a patch when I realized that there are so mamy places in TYPO3
> > where tables are not quoted that I gave up.
>
> Why does it need one? It has one when using DBAL, and if you code your
> own connection to a specific database you usually know what
> identifier is needed.

I'm still dreaming of a a pure DB connector without the fancy multi-db-handle-and-parse-everything. All I ever wanted was a class that overides t3lib_db with the appripriate low-level-calls to postgresql, ms sel or oracle. DBAL is cool, but seems to be more overhead than necessary if I simply wnat to replace Mysql with another db.

I think the typo3 db apis are clean enough to make this an option.

> > Warning: identifiers (table, column and function names) have to be
> > quoted differently than values. Some examples:
>
> The only place where one might need an identifier quote function is
> indeed function names. But those should never need to be quoted
> (technically).

No. You need to quoute all identifiers to be forward compatible. Direct mailer broke when Mysql added the "mid" function as it has a column with the name "mid".

Masi