[TYPO3-core] Reminder: 0001822: There is no API to list tables in theWeb->Page module

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Wed Mar 8 21:06:30 CET 2006

<rant comment="read it after the RC1 stress if you want">

rupert germann wrote:
> PS: and btw: I can reproduce the error shown in the screenshot but I was again
> trapped by the "fatal error: extension blablabla not loaded"  - And fixing
> this behaviour is definetively your job and not the job of the extension
> manager or the user who has to edit his localconf file on his server when
> installing your extension

Well, Franz is right in pointing out that it is a bug of the EM that it
doesn't check dependencies on extension updates.

But Rupert, you are right that Franz could have easily worked around
that problem by making an if(t3lib_extMgm::isLoaded('table')) before
including the class.

@Franz, I would like to ask you to post less mails to this list in which
you just complain about bugs which are not yet resolved or about things
that don't work with latest tt_products. I think especially during days
like this where this mailing list becomes a real high traffic list (100+
posts), people should really *think* before posting, and provide
*solutions* (i.e. patches) instead of complaining.

It is very important that mails sent to the core list, are of very high
quality, because every core developer should be able to follow the list,
and we want to get as many high quality patches into the core as
possible. Every unproductive mail takes attention away from the
important ones and adds to the bunch of mails to read.

As far as this thread is concerned, I'd propose you write two mails:
- one into this thread with the contents: "Hey guys, please forget
everything that has been said so far about this topic, because I did a
mistake in confusing all of you with speaking about t3lib_db first, and
after that I still couldn't express what the actual goal of my proposed
change was."

- and one mail into a completely new thread: "This is a CVS patch
request. Description: The page module is already capable of listing
tables from extensions. However, it would be nicer, if it could also
offer the possibility to extensions, to add a separate menu item to the
upper right selector box of the page module (see attached
screenshot)..." so that it gets instantly clear what the patch is about,
and people don't have to read thru everything that has been said so far
about this patch (because most that is full of confusion anyway).

Those were your last subjects you chose for this change:
> [TYPO3-core] make class.t3lib_db.php usable for backend modules

...which was just plain wrong because you didn't actually talk about
t3lib/class.t3lib_db.php but about typo3/class.db_list.php

> [TYPO3-core] 0001822: There is no API to list tables in the
> Web->Page module

...this was wrong as well because there *is* already an API to list
tables from extensions in the Web->Page module, just not the way you
wanted it to be (i.e. having a separate menu item in the upper right
selector box).

cheers,
Ingmar

</rant>