[TYPO3-typo3org] just a quick idea // authentification & authorisation & openid // oath server

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Sat Apr 20 23:49:38 CEST 2013

Hi Helmut,

>> I agree that the SSO solution is far from optimal.
>
> Can you elaborate on the issues you see with the current SSO solution?

* we have to implement it for every new application (as the chance that
some software supports it is near to zero ;-))
* users are updated only during login
* there's not a unique attribute to identify a user in all applications
  * every user has a different id in different applications
  * mostly the username is used to match a user during login
  * it is not possible for a user to change his/her username (because of
the previous point)
* sometimes users get created multiple times (in the redmine adapter)
* we have to cheat with applications where we can't easily use an SSO
adapter. E.g. for Gerrit we're using apache's external auth and call a
PHP script on typo3.org, which checks the username/password - that feels
not very clean.

>> In my dreams we have an LDAP directory.
>
> How would an LDAP directory would solve any of the issues?
> Would it introduce other issues?
An update to e.g. the email address would get promoted to the systems,
the uid is a unique identifier of an account, most of the applications
directly support LDAP auth...

>> One which works without synchronization?
>
> The issues I see are *not* on the server side, but on the client
> application side. I doubt that there is a single solution for all the
> applications in our infrastructure that need authentication.
> One App might support LDAP, the other OAuth, another one none of both.

I agree - like in TYPO3 where (AFAIK) no clean LDAP solution exists
(that would not synchronize to fe_users), LDAP wouldn't solve all
problems, if the application implements it badly.

Helmut, don't get me wrong. The DirectSSO works okay for us, personally
I don't feel so much pain that I want to get rid of it immediately, but
it has it's disadvantages - and until someone proves the opposite, my
experience with LDAP makes me believe that it would improve our setup.

Kind regards
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 Server Administration Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

I work for TYPO3 solely in my spare time. If you think that
my work helps you running your business, you are invited to
send me a donation via PayPal to this email address. Thanks