[TYPO3-typo3org] How to discontinue svn.typo3.org?

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Fri Oct 12 00:48:44 CEST 2012

Hi Tolleiv,

> * New projects can get Git automatically
for sure, that's the plan to be realised ASAP. We would not deprecate
SVN, until Git is completely available

> * Existing projects can migrate easily
Easy in terms of we can migrate it: for sure. In terms of pushing a
button and then migration is done: Hard to say.. it takes several
minutes to get history from svn and I had one case, where a tag was used
twice (or so) and pushing to git failed. I think we will see during the
manual migrations, how error prone it really is.

> * Gerrit is able to scale to this amount of projects (is it?)
It is. We're small. People in Gerrit mailing lists are talking about
finally getting new servers and experiences with heap spaces of >100GB
(RAM!). We can scale.

> * (maybe) projects should have to possibility to skip Gerrit
Yes, I would even say that should be the default. How many extensions
would really benefit from reviews?

Kind regards
Steffen

- --
Steffen Gebert
TYPO3 CMS Core Team Member
TYPO3 Server Administration Team Member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org

I work for TYPO3 solely in my spare time. If you think that
my work helps you running your business, you are invited to
send me a donation via PayPal to this email address. Thanks