[TYPO3-typo3org] Version matrix to become the new packages page [Was: Version matrix: MySQL 5.1 for TYPO3 >= 4.3]

Steffen Kamper ks at dislabs.de
Tue Feb 16 22:46:53 CET 2010

Hi,

Francois Suter schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I agree with Ingmar's idea that there should some kind of quick download
> link. Actually let's remember that there *is* a "Download" page. The big
> buttons could be on that page, with a link to the Packages pages. Right
> now, the Download page is only mildly useful.

This can be one Button / Link on the start page of typo3.org, and should
give the All-In-One (tarball) package. Other packages are on download page

>> [TYPO3 all-in-one (tarball)] [TYPO3 source (tarball)] [TYPO3 dummy
>> (tarball)]
>> [TYPO3 all-in-one (zip)] [TYPO3 source (zip)] [TYPO3 dummy (zip)]
>
> This already goes to show that TYPO3 is not so easy for the beginner ;-)
> but I can't see how this could be avoided. Maybe we could just improve
> the terminology, but I have no great idea right now.

Ok, could be simpler: TYPO3 4.3 | TYPO3 4.3 (source only - or "Update")

the dummy package can reside only in the matrix.

> Now what about the thing with both a tar and a zip. Does Windows really
> still not provide a tar utility by default? If a zip archive is still a
> necessity, maybe the large buttons should download only zip versions,
> although it's quite a bit larger.

i use winRar and this can open all archives. If you don't have any
application on your system, zip is the only native archive that is
supported, that might be the reason. So mabe let zip in matrix only too.

So you have only 2 Buttons, on complete, one for update only.

BTW - i don't want to block the publish, please go ahead and publish, we
can work on next version in workspace.

vg Steffen
vg Steffen