[TYPO3-typo3org] typo3 4.0.5

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Mar 9 20:37:51 CET 2007

Elmar HInz wrote: on 09.03.2007 14:15:

>> On 09.03.2007 10:41 Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>>> Well, this is normal. Why offer previous version if new is available?
>>> Core team is interested to support less vesions, so it is natural that
>>> only 4.1 is proposed on the main page.
>>>
>> It sounds like:
>> Since we have 4.1, 4.0.x will not be supported any longer.
>> If this is true, it should be clearly stated on the the download page.
>> IMHO "old" stable is not clear enough.
>
> Well, the new user will install the newest version 4.1 Final.
>
> The experienced user will know that 4.0.5 is rather a "bugfix version"
> while 4.1 is a "feature version". And he will be able to decide what he
> wants. So for me the naming is fine. But namings could be more clear.
>
> 4.0.x could by theory supported with a 4.0.6 and so on. Guess that will
> not happen in praxis. The differences to 4.1 aren't that big. So we can
> expect that the mayority of the users will update within a short time
> corridor an will not need a 4.0.6 for that reason.

Exactly. I expect 4.0.x now only to be supported with "security" fixes.
All other bug fixes will be done in 4.1.x. New developments (features)
will end up in 4.2.0.

This is the same that happened when 4.0.0 was released. 3.8.1 was not
developed further (no man-power to support so many versions!) and nobody
seemed to have a problem with it.

Maybe instead of having the "old stable" release listed directly on the
downloads page, we could just link to:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=20391&package_id=14557

Where all previous releases are available in the "latest stable" versions.

Cheers,
Ernesto