[TYPO3-typo3org] typo3 4.0.5

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Mar 10 19:27:51 CET 2007

Hello Steffen,

interesting discussion. Without knowing about it yesterday, I added the
links for 4.0.5 again, declaring it as "old stable". However, I did not yet
clarify what this means, since it needs to be discussed first...

>> Well, this is normal. Why offer previous version if new is available?
>> Core team is interested to support less vesions, so it is natural that
>> only 4.1 is proposed on the main page.
>
> It sounds like:
> Since we have 4.1, 4.0.x will not be supported any longer.

To make it short: This is how it would work at the moment, and how it worked
up to 4.0.5 (remember the formmail security fix which was not released for
3.8 anymore).

This is declared in our Release Workflow document, see here:
http://typo3.org/teams/core/resources/release-workflow/

> If this is true, it should be clearly stated on the the download page.
> IMHO "old" stable is not clear enough.

I know. Trust me we will improve this soon.

The security team will need to discuss if they want to take care of older
releases, but currently this is not the case.

However, since I fully understand that not everybody can upgrade all sites
within one day, I hereby promise to take care for providing security
updates of the 4.0 branch at least as long as "old stable" is listed on the
download page http://typo3.org/download/packages/ and at least until the
security team will inform how to proceed with old releases in future...

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out