[TYPO3-typo3org] Consolidate - don't divide?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 20 09:00:45 CEST 2006

Hi!

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
>
>>> * It doesn't make any sense to use another CMS
>>>
>> Yes, of course it does.
>>

> Not if we write our own. It hurts reputation if we do not use our own
> tools. It means that we, as developers, do not trust to thing we
> develop. This is what customers usually think when they realize such
> fact. I know this from customer relations in several commercial projects
> (not only typo3).

Every person and organization has a specific set of needs and
capabilities. No one can be all things to everyone, and no piece of
software is
an exception. Microsoft Word does not (yet) open Photoshop PSD files,
Microsoft Access does not open Flash files, and certain tools provide
extra functionality that TYPO3 does not or should not need to provide. I
need to do my yearly federal taxes, should TYPO3 handle accounting, too?
What about doing my laundry for me or cooking a pizza? The point is, a
line needs to be drawn somewhere and the generic "We should only use
TYPO3 for everything" argument is rather silly when you take into
account everything that a healthy community needs to not only survive
but also thrive. Some things we don't *want* TYPO3 to do, some things we
do want it to do. The trick is coming up with a real, clear list of what
TYPO3 should and shouldn't be, and meeting it as well as can be.

You have two feet that are yours, but do you ever ride a bike that
someone else made? What about driving or riding in a car, bus, train,
plane? Even Ferrari uses transportation that it doesn't build, in order
to get done in a day all that it needs to get done. Do you think that
Apple and Sun are incapable of writing their own forum or knowledge
base? I think they *do* hire a few programmers now and then. So why do
they use the same forum and KB software that TYPO3 uses? I think Apple's
market share has seen a *slight* increase in value over the last few
years, so I don't think using an externally-developed software package
has hurt them very much. And, you're a programmer, but what OS do you
use? Did you write it yourself? It's all about meeting needs as best as
you can, and dedicating energy towards where it will do the most good.
The same with the wiki, or any other feature that TYPO3 needs to
provide. The purpose of Enterprise software is to do something very well
and to integrate with other Enterprise-quality software which also do
something very well. All we are doing is showing that our community is
Enterprise-ready.

The good thing about open source software is that if you see a need,
you're welcome to, as Kasper has said recently, "scratch that itch". If
you see a need that isn't being met currently with TYPO3, fix it. If
there's a better TYPO3 solution, of course use it. If not, and there
isn't anything more of a priority, then do what you can to give the
community what it needs to thrive. If moving every external program's
functionality into TYPO3 is a priority for you, then more power to you
and good luck with the coding.

Cheers,
Alex