[TYPO3-typo3org] documentation / Jive

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Wed Oct 18 00:24:35 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> On categories; Today, in blogging, I understand that people "tag"
> content with manually written keywords which form a "folksonomy"; a
> sort of implicitly agreed to set of categories. (Please correct me
> where I'm wrong).

True, and we can assign arbitrary keywords to each "article" in the KB.
This would definitely help people be able to find what they need
(assuming we can put in good keywords!!! :)  Also, we can track in the
stats what people are looking for, which will also help us keep things
put into the most intuitive place for the majority of the community.

> Why not apply a similar organic approach to extension categorization?
> We could even let the TER users apply categories and not extension
> owners! That might be even more userfriendly in the long run (along
> the view that an insiders understanding doesn't match how an end-user
> thinks about things).
>
> - aksper

That's probably the best way to do it, based on my experience with end
users. Often what is incredibly obvious to developers (what --- can't
you *see* that????) is less than intuitive to end users (and vice versa,
of course). Not that either is "wrong", just that these changing
perspectives can create some interesting possibilities when we're open
to them.

But which should follow which? Should we take the stats from Jive about
visitors' viewing patterns and update the TER as appropriate? Or should
we keep Jive updated to changes in the TER? I'm not sure which is easier
to keep updated, Jive is about as easy to update as page records in the
T3 BE, but I don't know about the inner workings of the TER (I'm
assuming it's just as easy?)

Alex

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 20:00 , Patrick Gaumond wrote:
>

>> Alex Heizer wrote:
>>

>>> For now, I need to set up the categories in the BE, and I'll use the
>>> categories that Chris Paige had set up on the initial typo3.us effort
>>> (see  http://test.typo3.us/index.php?id=45 ) just to get us
>>> started. If
>>> anyone has any other recommendations, feel free to chime in on
>>> this, the
>>> categories are very dynamic, so it doesn't have to be perfect the
>>> first
>>> time. I just want to get something up quickly so we can start adding
>>> content and get it in approximately the right place and I think what
>>> Chris did is a great foundation to start with. It can be refined
>>> as we
>>> go and see what works and what doesn't.
>>>
>> Another place to look for categories is the page on the wiki that I
>> setup this summer to get some feedback on TER categories.
>>
>> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Extensionscategories
>>

>> I've added the list Michael sent me in September.
>>
>> Patrick
>> typo3org
>>

> - kasper
>
> "Necessity is the mother of invention"