[TYPO3-typo3org] [ANN] Public beta test for TER2 ratings and frontend

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Wed May 17 11:43:23 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael Scharkow wrote on 16.05.2006 08:56:
> Patrick Rodacker wrote:
>
>> - Full and Review List: star images would be nice, but maybe are to wide
>> and crash the layout. I would suggest to not display the number of votes
>> in the full list or the reviewed list, so the number fits in one line.
>> Maybe it is possible to display the amount of votes and the stars in a
>> layer when hovering the ratings numbers.
>
> I just want to make sure that no of votes is visible to everyone and
> hover titles are not viewable all at once. I'll first cut the date to
> yy/mm/dd only and see how the table looks in min size layout...

IMHO the numbers of votes don't need to be displayed in the full list.
Even if you cut the date to yy/mm/dd I think the ratings column will
still be displayed in two lines. And the documentation column is not set
at all so there will be more space lost. I think the overall rating
should be enough at this point.

>> One question about the rating dimension and the rating qualities. I
>> don't think every logged in user should be able to rate the quality of
>> the code. This has to be done by people really knowing about quality of
>> code not by every user with a user account. Maybe this dimension should
>> be reduced to "compatibility" only?
>
> Nobody forces you to fill this rating dimension, so it is perfectly okay
> not to rate code quality without any drawbacks. Maybe I should give a
> hint in the text concerning this issue. Since we don't know any
> reviewers it's mainly a question of trust (you could just as well not
> have read the manual and still rate the docs...) in both the raters and
> the large number of them straighting things out.

You are right about the point that a user could rate the documentation
without reading it and that it is overall a question of trust. Everybody
who could read could rate the documentation and state whether it was
usefull to him / her or not. But not everybody who could read could rate
about the quality of code. And ratings about the code could be
interpreted as a quality measurement and I am uncomfortable with the
situation that every user is able to have influence on such a quality
statement. Well these are just my 2 cents.

Regards
Patrick