[TYPO3-typo3org] TER FE enhancements

Fri Mar 10 21:20:41 CET 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Hi Elmar and Ingo,
>
> I do like the idea of using <dl> for individual extension info fields,
> but I for the higher level, an unordered list containing those dl stuff
> *might* be just as cryptic in text browsers as the current tables.

Yes. We are still not used to the usage of lists for lists. :-)

That is the bad influence of webdesign history. But semantically it
would by the consequent choice. The small amount of tags that are
necessary for that solution underline this.

The other side is that it is still much more difficult to layout lists
with CSS to pretty columns of equal width in each row. That can be
done but it isn't that simple as producing columns with classical tables.

If we don't have someone at hand that can do this nested list styling,
tables are still a good choice. But if we have someone who could do
it, it would show that TYPO3 is a tool for today and tomorrow.

As for the usage of DL tags for label value pairs (hashes): I think
that is semantically at the borderline, because it is not a real
definition. It's labeling. But I also like it, as long as no other tag
is provided for this.

The higher level, that where you feel unsecure with the usage of DL
tags, I think semantically more justified. There you really define
each extension key with the full description of the extension. That is
not the typical schoolbook example, but I think it's a very valid usage.

Regards

Elmar