[TYPO3-typo3org] Request for TYPO3.org extension lists

wes currier typo3 at wesfx.com
Fri Mar 3 01:51:13 CET 2006

Ernesto,

The issue I had is that with versions of TYPO3 from 3.5 all the way
through 4.0 beta 3, there are many extensions that will not work for
certain versions. When I set up a new installation, I have to search
through considerable documentation to determine if, for example, the TV
in the TER works with the installation I am configuring. It would be
nice if there was a flag that could be set for minimum version required.

As the list of extensions continues to grow it will only get worse. I
have to read the extract to determine what the extension does, then
click into details as Karsten mentioned, then look at the readme file
(sometimes)to determine if the extension will work with my installation.

I can search for photo galleries, or shops, or accessibility, or even
cron based extensions. Why can't I search for "extensions for 3.6.0" or
"3.8.1"

Sometimes the author has not specified the typo3 version. I try to
install the extension and get many errors. I look through the archives,
or on the news group, or Google to find out that it does not work for
that version of typo3. That is all time consuming.

A recent example. I thought the new versions of the DAM that Rene just
made available on his site was only for 4.0 but, in reading the DAM
newsgroup someone asked if it would work with 3.8.1 and apparently it
does. Now I can try the newest version.

Don't get me wrong I think all of the developers are doing a great job.
I just mentioned this from a usability standpoint from someone who does
not use Typo3 every day.

Thanks,
wes currier