[TYPO3-typo3org] [Typo3-typo3org] Rating of extensions

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Fri Jan 20 00:23:28 CET 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael Scharkow wrote on 19.01.2006 15:23:

> the problem is we cannot at all control how people rate extensions. I
> see no technical way on how to restrict certain criteria to certain
> people, not to mention the administrative overhead of this. Truth is
> we cannot tell
>
> * if a user has even used the extension he rates

True, we only can limit this by allowing users to rate who have
installed the extension, but we will never know if he/she really used it.

> * what skills and understanding a reviewer has
> * what intentions and criteria lead to the ratings

Both true, so a user with unknown skills should never be allowed to rate
the code quality of any extension. This has to be done by an official
group as you have announced before.

> As my professor would say: We don't have to rely on individual
> reliability which *can* be considered as random, but as
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers tells us, this will
> even out with the number of ratings. This is why rating averages for
> extensions will not even computed if there are < 5 ratings available.

This makes sense too. Following the KISS principle is the way to go as
also proposed by Joey within the ECT discussing other issues.

Regards
Patrick