[TYPO3-typo3org] [Typo3-typo3org] Rating of extensions

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu Jan 19 15:23:28 CET 2006

Patrick Rodacker wrote:

> I think a simple model is a good start, but I have an addition to the
> last dimension 'code quality/compatibility'. Imho an TYPO3 administrator
> or user without any programming background should not be able to rate an
> extension about the code quality at all. This is the work of the review
> team. On the other hand the integration of compatibility issues in the
> rating system make perfectly sense to me.

Hi Patrick,

the problem is we cannot at all control how people rate extensions. I
see no technical way on how to restrict certain criteria to certain
people, not to mention the administrative overhead of this. Truth is
we cannot tell

* if a user has even used the extension he rates
* what skills and understanding a reviewer has
* what intentions and criteria lead to the ratings

As my professor would say: We don't have to rely on individual
reliability which *can* be considered as random, but as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers tells us, this will
even out with the number of ratings. This is why rating averages for
extensions will not even computed if there are < 5 ratings available.

I will discuss on how we will label the three dimensions, but I don't
think adding more will help but only complicate the ratings.

Greetings,
Michael