[TYPO3-typo3org] two articles sections.. a bif of confusion.. some proposals for typo3.org

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Mon Feb 20 16:04:38 CET 2006

stefano cecere wrote:

> yes... old topic, this :)
> could be the time to start over with a real FAQ extension.. and with
> time to fill up the database with all old faqs/howto and the snippets
> around?
> and since now there are 3 FAQ sections (under "about", "extensions" and
> "documentation"..)
> i'd call this section "tips and tricks" (or "developer FAQ") and merge
> the actual tips and tricks with the previous articles section..

The FAQ should be named FAQ if we take it seriously and answer the most
popular questions from the lists.

> well my points are:
> 1) the teams are the "engine" of the "development".. the two are really
> tight.. in fact in homepage http://typo3.org/development/
> you have a list of the teams.

Well, the difficulty is that development on typo3.org is ambiguous: is
it about developing TYPO3 or developing sites with TYPO3? I'd say it's
mostly the first, so I'd rather expect links to the roadmap, the CVS,
the bugtracker than resources for actual users.

> 3) it would reduce the main menu, where i'd like to propose a new main
> section.. something like "Resources".. with the idea that it could be
> the first section for a newby.

I don't like a resource main section because it's a catch-all term that
doesn't help separate stuff logically, but only packs any- and
everything concerning TYPO3 together. Resources can even be pictures, or
banners, or whatever. In detail:

> we really need to easy the approach to typo3 development.. now it's a
> bit complicated.. too many places to go...
>
> if we collect here:
> - the "sites made with TYPO3"

this does IMHO not belong at all in .org but rather only in .com.

> - the "Other Resources"
> - the tips&triks and snippets
> - the FAQ
> - the videos

This is all documentation really. Why not make them or leave them as
subsections to documentation.

> so to leave in the "Documentation" just the official docs, and here all
> the contributions that can help in the approach

see above.

> LAST POINT:
> since the new line for TYPO3 is "Inspiring people to SHARE", i'd create
> as last main menu section a "Share" new one.
> with the aim to really "help" the user to join TYPO3 development (not
> just "ask for help" ;)

The term 'share' is too generic for my taste: Share what? Opinions,
code, tricks, extensions? All this is done in other categories.

> i'd put here the "report bugs" subsection (now it's wrongly under
> Documentation)
> a links to the dev teams

how would these to points relate to sharing?

> propose new snippets
> propose new BE skins
> propose new Templates

Snippets may well go into a snippet archive, but BE skins and Templates
are simply extensions and can be treated as such.

> well these are my first considerations to improve typo3.org
> would be really great to have it grooving for 4.0 release (so that we
> can do a mass diffusion campaign)

I'm really glad you start this, and I do agree that typo3.org needs much
more re-organisation...

Greetings,
Michael