[TYPO3-typo3org] Request: Move trac to a t3.org subdomain

Andreas Otto andreas.otto at dkd.de
Mon Aug 21 19:11:52 CEST 2006

Hi Ingmar,

Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
> I haven't been to that bugsquasing meeting you were talking about
> because I was doing a code-sprint at that time, but what I have heard
> from Sebastian is that trac isn't as well-structured and doesn't have as
> good access control then mantis and thus they decided to stick with it
> for the moment.

Could you please elaborate what you mean with "as good access control then
mantis"?

> I agree with that, and think we should have a close look at how both
> Trac and Mantis evolve and when Trac is turning out to be the better
> supported system in the long run, switch over to it.
>
> But if I get it right you are talking about three things at the same
> time: Switching to Trac for bugtracking, consolidating the server
> infrastructure and implementing Single Signon.
>
> I think those things can perfectly be evaluated separately.
>
> About consolidating the server infrastructure, I think putting even more
> things on typo3.org and have more complex strucures with hand-made
> single-signon doesn't ease the situation we currently have with
> typo3.org but makes it even worse. There's a lot of work to be done on
> typo3.org and the problem is that it's all so complex that only Robert
> Lemke knows how to do it (fortunately Michael Scharkow has just begun
> digging into it to take some of that load off his shoulders!).

I did not say that TRAC should be hosted on the same server as TYPO3.org.
TRAC should ideally be on a separate server, but belong to the *.TYPO3.org
namespace.

> But the great thing about bugs.typo3.org and wiki.typo3.org running
> independently is that there was no direct reliance on typo3.org and
> maintaining it was mostly an easy thing to do.

Yes, the great thing about this is, that the user ends up with another two
logins. What is so great here?

> Now, about the third part of what you're proposing, Single Signon: I
> think SSO is fine and we do need it, but I'm much more in favor of using
> the solution from http://www.single-signon.com/ because it doesn't force
> us to have everything on one server. There are already SSO modules for
> Mantis and MediaWiki.

What I proposed was: We could use mod_auth_mysql to access the FE Users
table from the MySQL database on TYPO3.org. This is not SSO but helps to
reduce the number of accounts a user needs to have for accessing the
various services on *.TYPO3.org.

> A solution which involves only light interaction and interdependence
> between typo3.org on the one side and the bug-tracker and the wiki on
> the other side seems to be the better option to me.

That may be the better option for you, but it might not be the best option
from a user's point of view and in terms of usability.

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Andreas Otto