[TYPO3-typo3org] Ratings, another try

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Apr 5 19:56:54 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb am 04.04.2006 19:00:

> I hope to finish the rating system for t3.org this week, but I need some
> help and hints.
>
> Okay, here's the problem to solve:
>
> Ratings are split in three dimensions and relate to *one specific*
> extension version. For every extension version it is fairly easy to
> compute the average overall rating (overall is computed from the three
> single dimensions and stored in a dedicated table column). No problem
> here. All averages are only displayed if there at least 3 (or 5) ratings.

Maybe another different approach would let the extension maintainer
himself decide for which versions he wants to keep the ratings. So on
uploading a new version he has to choose: "reset old votes?". So if one
extension was bad in the past and the author decides to redo it the
right way, he should be able to cancel all votes for previous versions
(he'll loose all bad, but also all good votes).

Then it's up to the author to decide when to "start over" again. If he
does it right, he will get better votings for the newer versions. If his
extension always has been good, he will not choose to "reset" the votes
from the past, and this will be reflected in the amount of votes (which
is also a good indicator of "popularity") and its average.

Cheers,
Ernesto