[Typo3-typo3org] FAQ and Howto section. was: Mailing list archive, what next?

Steffen Müller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Fri Sep 23 17:01:57 CEST 2005

On 23.09.2005 15:51 Michael Stucki wrote:
> Steffen Müller wrote:
>

>>What about the FAQs and Howtos?
>>How are these sections stored?
>

> AFAIK they are part of the maillisttofaq Extension.
> Personally I never liked that they are related with the mailing lists and
> thus hidden behind the mailing list archive.

This is just a question of presentation.
I disliked the absense of order. No summary, no topics, no moderation.
On the other hand, the possibility to create a FAQ directly out of a
mailinglist discussion was very useful!

>>A good place for them might be the wiki. I remember the docteam working
>>on an automated transfer for the doc section. Maybe this is possible for
>>FAQ and Howto, too.
>

> I don't know if the Wiki is good enough for that. Don't you think that a
> knowledge base would fit better?

Please be more precise. How do you specify a knowledge base? IMHO, a
wiki is as a knowledge base, too.

I like the wiki, because
- easy workflow: anyone can add, alter or delete items.
- no work needed altering / implementing an extension.
- easy to use.

Ok, searching could be improved.

No matter what solution will be choosen: We already have two FAQ
sections [1]+[2] in the wiki. So if we decide to make a new FAQ attempt
on typo3.org, all FAQs should be brought together.

A good working example is the Mailman FAQ. Well, it's not based on the
mediawiki, but anyways worth a view.

--
cheers,
Steffen