[Typo3-typo3org] Fwd: http://typo3.org/extensions/ - Change Navigation & Impression

David Bruehlmeier typo3 at bruehlmeier.com
Thu Nov 24 19:24:19 CET 2005

  > All can give a rating thru the EXT Manager in the TYPO3 BE if logged in.
> *BUT* if robert rates an ext, the ext gets 100 point, if Rupert rates
> it it gets 100 points if I and john-doe rates it, it only gets 1 point.
> Persons that have "more power points" can apply to get them, but will
> be selected by an undemocratic process. I write "undemocratic", because
> I cannot find another word for it. To me its importand, that people
> with more knowledge are in these rating groups, ...

Sorry, but I think this is complete no-go and would totally ruin the
credibility of the rating system. Why should I even bother to vote when
I know that my vote is 100 times less valuable than the vote from
somebody else? I do see the point that known TYPO3 experts such as
Robert or Rubert certainly can better judge if an extension is really
good, but if you want to reflect this in a rating system, but *must* be
transparent to everybody.

Suggestion: Split the rating in two seperate counts: One count for
everybody who cares to vote. And another (like cigars :-) or whatever)
can only be voted for only by the "experts". So an extension can have 39
points and two cigars (which would be the two votes from experts). The
votes for the cigars should be clearly labeled as to who awarded them,
whereas the other votes might be anonymous.

The question remains who decides who's an expert and who's not. Maybe
the R+D committee could decide? I'm not sure about this point...

- Dave