[Typo3-typo3org] Re: OT: Blob fields in TYPO3

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Mar 18 18:23:03 CET 2005

Hi Mathias & Karsten,

thanks for your replies.

> We change almost every field in our installs because it speeds up
> debugging from phpmyadmin.
> BLOBS can hold both CHAR and BINARY data.
> TEXT can hold CHAR data.

Does that mean that you already do this for all of your installations?
Would you mind to send me a list of fields & types you have changed?

> But I will write a benchmark NOW checking how much faster TEXT is over
> BLOB because there is no founded documentation on the myssql side.

I'm interested, can you please post the results here?

> But from the programming POV things work like this:
> Access a TEXT field:
>   Nothing much happens, data is being read and returned
> Access a BLOB field:
>   mysql sees a BLOB field, runs functions to determine the possible
> content and THEN returns the data

I think you are right here and that's why I want to change it.

Regards, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html