[Typo3-typo3org] Concept for mirroring the TER

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [NF] jh at netfielders.de
Mon Mar 7 13:18:31 CET 2005

Hello !

I've got something different in mind, some sort of advanced local TER. It
does not have something todo with mirrors, but with local TERs. I will write
more to that in about a week. Until saturday, I am too busy for some overall
description.

For now these things in the concept could have little changes in my eyes:

- "The version number of the extension will be still controlled by the TER
and the updated version number will be returned to the Extension Manager
which updates the local extension"
-> I suggest to have that not only controled by TER, it should also take
care of the plugin-version-number. Example: TER is online with 1.3.0, and
local extension has got 1.4.0 because of local repositories. In this case it
makes sense to choose the HIGHER number of both increased by either one of
the 3 numbers. In this example, it could result in 1.4.1 online in TER and
the local extension.

- exclusivly-file-based-mirrors: For local TERs, I'd suggest to also have
available what is online on typo3.org. A webfrontend including some tools.
More about this next weekend. The exclusivly-file-based-mirrors could for
sure be used as mirrors, different to local TERs.

- DNS + round robin: There should be some caching of that for a very short
time in the clients. If one TER is not available, that it chooses the other
one automaticly the next time. DNS does not know if a server is offline and
still populates that IP in any way. We thought about some bind-manipulation
where it would be taken care of this problem. The DNS tries to reach those
servers, if one failes, it automaticly takes out that IP. This is still
theory beside some experiments, so this would work out. But the other thing:
It could also use some p2p methods. You download typo3 with a default set of
TERs. Those TERs list the others available, so extending to new TERs would
be possible automaticly. If the client can not access a TER, it would delete
it from it's own list. If that TER is still populated on the list of TERs,
the client will automaticly recieve that in some time again anyway.

So the overall change in my eyes would be local TERs (company wide or
something like that) to not only have that as a file structure, but also
like real TER with frontend things etc., as it could be made to a good
dev-tool.

JH

news:mailman.1.1110193475.22408.typo3-team-typo3org at lists.netfielders.de...