[Typo3-typo3org] TER2 suggestions

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 11 12:46:26 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

thank you for your suggestions.

Peter Kindström wrote:

> 1. Categories
> Rename todays Categories field to Type. And add a new Category
> field which allows an extension to belong to more than one
> Category. And the list of categories should (of course) be
> dynamic, not hardcoded.

How would that be in practice? I guess the categories are defined somewhere
at typo3.org, right? How does the EM know about the categories? Just
letting the developer enter a comma separated list of types would be to
error prone I think.

But what we could do is define a certain set of categories and deliver them
with the Extension Manager and if we want to add a new category, we'll have
to wait until the developers have updated their EM.

> 2. Backend manager group
> Add a possibility to "assign" an extension (or a whole
> extensions category) to a backend usergroup.
> This BE usergroup should have the possibility to do all the
> things an author can do, plus:
>  - Add comments and/or ratings
>  - In some ways override the author's choices
>

> I think this would improve the possibility to find extensions a
> lot and maybe in the long run encourage people to improve old
> extensions instead och making new ones all the time?
>
> The category list chould be something like at HotScripts:
>  http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/index.html
>
> (And yes, I can help if we have to "re-categorise" extensions.
> It is a boring job, but not very difficult if we have well
> defined Types and Categories.)

That's a good idea. Instead of using BE users I suggest implenting these
functions for the frontend because changing categories in extensions won't
be done by just change a DB record.

So in general, we need some functionality which allows a group of people to
sort and clean up the extension meta data, right?

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development