[Typo3-typo3org] documentation.typo3.org

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Thu Apr 14 09:36:50 CEST 2005

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] wrote:

> But after taking a look at the doc section I wanted to ask, whether so
> many different formats make sense at all?

Roberts and my argument for docbook is not that we need all the output
formats, but rather that docbook can predictably be transformed for
*any* purpose, including e.g. TYPO3 content elements, PDF etc. And that
it _can_ be edited manually with any editor.

> All the hassle - switching tools, rewriting docs and stuff - vs. the
> benefit of being able to export marlen's tutorials to chm or HTML?
> If I want to have docs in a different format than online HTML I want
> them as PDF or SXW so I can download and PRINT them.
> How on god's green earth would want to print some HTML page if you can
> have a PDF or SWX to print it?
> If you think people will download HTML docs to read them on their
> screens offline - this is nonsense IMHO.
> Most people will use the online versions just because they think they
> missed something or are not up to date.
>
> Let the flaming begin :)

Okay, but given that I agree with you that OO works okay (apart from the
fact that I hate it because I have to install it everywhere whereas I
can edit plain text directly on the server which keeps at least me from
writing more docs), I would rather flame on the topic of

Combining offline and online editing sucks unless you use ascii and some
simple markup! We do not need to edit docs on the server, and for
collaboratively writing docs the wiki is okay as it is now. If a wiki
doc is releasable, transform it into an oowriter file, upload it, done.

Greetings,
Michael