[Typo3-typo3org] documentation.typo3.org

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Wed Apr 13 09:00:43 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

I open a new thread for this, so we can keep track of it.

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 18:14, Michael Scharkow wrote:
> We should *really* think about changing the default format to docbook
> (or something more lightweight which can be transformed into docbook)
> for a number of reasons:

Please make sure to read the discussion we had in the DocTeam. Sylvain and I
invested more than a day for only discussing and doing research for DocBook.
I really like the format, for me it's the ideal solution.

However we came over a few disadvantages which let us decide to not use
DocBook in the short run. Two major argument against DocBook:

   - There doesn't exist a comfortable editor like Open Office Writer. The PHP
     project for example recommends using VIM or EMACS for it. DocBook
     support in Open Office is unusable and programming a TYPO3 BE module
     which acts as a DocBook editor is too much work

   - We cannot just convert the existing documentation. The main reason for
     using DocBook is the symantics we gain. Most of the symantics cannot be
     guessed automatically, so it would be a semi-automatic process which
     takes a long time

Please read the discussion in the DocTeam mailing list archive and also read
Sylvain's notes about the Snowboard tour [1]. I even think that the whole
documentation topic should be discussed on the DocTeam list, lead by you.

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/T3BOAR05_Documentation_notes

--
Robert Lemke
Assessor - TYPO3 Association