[TYPO3-hci] TYPO3 4.2 blog entry

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Sun May 18 20:37:36 CEST 2008

Hi!

Franz Koch wrote:
> You're right - it's all just workarounds, trying to deal with currently
> available approaches. Of course a completely new concept would be best,
> but wasn't it you, who said that this would take too much time and thus
> might never be done?

Yes, it was me.

> Question is - is it worth doing such a major work for 4.x or start with
> it for 5.0? Second question would be - can the really old wholy cow of
> backwards compatibility finally get replaced by a shiny new calf that
> only inherited the best genes - at least for the backend.

Well, I do not follow 5.0 track at all, so I do not know how close they are to anything useful. I am pure practical man, so I prefer to work for and think about 4.x at the moment.

Making completely new BE will take a lot of time. It can be faster if development is shared between 3-4 coders. Whoever they are should be ~coders~, not developers. Each screen should be drawn by a designer (such as Jens) and all coding should go strictly according to the drawing (no even a smallest step away from the drawing, no additions or "enhancements"). Only in this case we could have a proper user-friendly BE. But I afraid most developers would find such work boring. It is open source, so fun and creativity is a big motivating factor for development. There is no much creativity in this work as I see it (only technical challenges) and no fun at all. Big, serious and boring work. So I see almost no chances for this work to be done.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core team