[TYPO3-hci] Combine page and list module into one module

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Sun May 11 18:51:58 CEST 2008

Hi,
ever asked why there are two different modules doing almost the same? I
haven't asked myself this question but my customers are asking it over
and over. So I thought about this and I'd like to write my thoughts here:

First of all I assume that sysfolders are invented to store information
for different extensions or the system, like news entries for tt_news.
Standard contents like texts and images should be placed into the page
elements because they are displayed there.

If this thinking is correct, then I assume that the page module has been
invented to create, modify and remove content elements from pages. This
module seems to give an almost identical view of the page in the backend
as how it is looking in the frontend (at least when using Templavoila).

But then there is also the list module. It allows you to create, modify
and remove content in sysfolders in a view that is not identical to the
frontend, because these entries are mainly shown in extensions. Further
on it allows to create, modify and remove entries on standard page elements.

So here's the question: Why does the list module allows you to create,
modify and remove content elements on standard pages? Don't we have the
page module for this?

Let's assume we have the page module for this, let's assume if someone
wants to create a content for a page he uses the page module because it
shows an equivalent view of the frontend.
Alright. Now to the problem: This concept of creating new entries is
difficult because you as an editor ask yourself which module to use.

Possible solution:
1) Restrict users to create content elements for pages inside page
elements. Do not allow users to create content elements for pages inside
sysfolders.
2) Restict users to create elements for extensions within sysfolders. Do
not allow users to create elements for extensions within page elements.
3) Remove the functionality of the list module to create standard
content elements. Only allow the list module to create elements for
extensions.
4) Combine the page and the list module. If a page has been opened in
the pagetree, show the page view. If a sysfolder has been opened, show
the list view.
5) Rename the new module to something like "Content manager"

Additional thoughts:
1) integrate the info module so that every content element has a button
called "info"
2) integrate a button called "view this element" on top of every content
element for pages and page elements. If this button is clicked, show the
page either inside the T3 frameset (ajax thingy) or as a new window,
depending on a user configuration setting. Place a big button on that
page so the user gets back to the formular if he clicks that button. Of
course: hide the view module in the left navigation)
3)Maybe the access module could be placed as an "advanced options" into
the page header of a page. (then the module could be hidden in the
navigation as well)

Results: A better to use backend without the question: "Where do I have
to go to create this content element?"

Thanks for reading ;)
What do you think?

Andreas