[TYPO3-hci] Combine page and list module into one module

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed May 14 10:15:14 CEST 2008

Hey,

>>> Dmitry mentioned another scenario  of displaying a random CE out of a
>>> list of CEs stored in a SysFolder.
>>>
>>> Does this make sense to you?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. I assume the position of these CE's is always the
>> same. (they always appear in the same column or element on the website)
>
> Sorry, but this is not the case. We are using TV and I do not use the
> old column feature at all. I want those CEs to be displayed everywhere
> on the page, layout according to chosen TO.

I do the same as you, using a special page/folder for storing globally
used CEs for usage in TV. But I don't use a Sysfolder for that, but a
regular page. Reason is: why should I teach the editors a different way
of adding content elements then they are used to do for regular pages? I
don't see any reason why the CEs need to be managed in listView. It's
even more complicated for editors to certainly see a different way of
translating regular content etc. and it also lacks of the possibility to
easily provide different areas where editors can put global content
(like: global content for left column, for right column,...). Therefor
you would need to teach the editors to use the column-dropdown - which
they regularly don't use in TV. For me - using a sysfolder for storing
global CEs has only disadvantages.

>> Then why don't just keep them within a page at the correct position
>> from that they can be taken randomly or alike. Or isn't it possible to
>> take these contents from a page in order to display them on other
>> pages as well?
>>

> May I ask you, where the correct position is? We are talking about
> content management, and that means (hopefully) a separation of content
> and design.

Yes, but it should also mean that the content is manageable by everybody
- not only by experts ;)

>> + A page can be documented the same way.
>
> True, but is that of any help?

No, but who says that a sysfolder needs to be used for that? Technically
it's all only a page-record in db.

> Besides that, the list module for pages and content elements is very
> usefull if you want to edit some fields of multiple pages or content
> elements at a time.

That's true - but that is merely a function advanced editors use - and
actually I only used it once or twice for CEs in the last 3 or 4 years.
In my eyes this feature is more useful for other db-records than
tt_content. And when it's used within tt_content - I suppose it will in
99% be used from a admin or master editor.

> So -10 for easing up typo3 at the price of loosing flexibility! We
> (means my university) has chosen typo3 because you can do what you need
> most times. There is a lot of room for usability improvements, but
> restricting the list module in the way you want to do it, is not right.
>
> After thought: We always think of tt_contend an pages as some kind of
> being static, normal, whatsoever. In my eyes that is wrong. We are
> talking about websites, and they are, by nature, dynamic.

Why does easing up something mean, that it has to be hardcoded? Make
that stuff configurable in pageTS and userTS and everybody is happy.
Unexperienced editors can be switched to 'simple mode' while advanced
ones can have list functionality everywhere - easy as that.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch