[TYPO3-hci] Combine page and list module into one module

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed May 14 01:18:13 CEST 2008

Andreas Balzer wrote:
> Hi Uschi,
> Uschi Renziehausen schrieb:
>> Here is my scenario. In our university site each main subsection (we
>> call them 'subsites') will have a SysFolder called 'Snippets' to store
>> Content Elements that need to be shown on more than one page in that
>> part of the tree and you only want to update once.
>> Because the snippet folder concept is meant for the whole site, I can
>> document this for my authors and people who are allowed to edit stuff
>> in more than one subsite will always find their way.
>>
>> Dmitry mentioned another scenario  of displaying a random CE out of a
>> list of CEs stored in a SysFolder.
>>
>> Does this make sense to you?
>
> Unfortunately not. I assume the position of these CE's is always the
> same. (they always appear in the same column or element on the website)

Sorry, but this is not the case. We are using TV and I do not use the
old column feature at all. I want those CEs to be displayed everywhere
on the page, layout according to chosen TO.

> Then why don't just keep them within a page at the correct position from
> that they can be taken randomly or alike. Or isn't it possible to take
> these contents from a page in order to display them on other pages as well?

May I ask you, where the correct position is? We are talking about
content management, and that means (hopefully) a separation of content
and design.

> + A page can be documented the same way.

True, but is that of any help?

Besides that, the list module for pages and content elements is very
usefull if you want to edit some fields of multiple pages or content
elements at a time.

So -10 for easing up typo3 at the price of loosing flexibility! We
(means my university) has chosen typo3 because you can do what you need
most times. There is a lot of room for usability improvements, but
restricting the list module in the way you want to do it, is not right.

After thought: We always think of tt_contend an pages as some kind of
being static, normal, whatsoever. In my eyes that is wrong. We are
talking about websites, and they are, by nature, dynamic.

Uschi