[TYPO3-hci] Make Sysfolder appears as Web Module

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Thu Mar 20 18:38:23 CET 2008

Hello dear HCI people,

Before making this suggestion in the bugtracker for 4.3, I wanted to get
some input from you. Here's the idea:

Feature: Make Sysfolder appears as Web Module

Scenario: Simplification for tt_news editors.
For someone new to TYPO3, having to select a sysfolder in "list mode" is
a bit strange at first. Why isn't a module, why is it mixed with pages ?
It's not intuitive to first select "List" then navigate the pagetree to
find where the news records are "hidden".

Solution: Make Sysfolder appears as Web Module

By adding 2 checkboxes and 3 radiobox :

  C1. Make Sysfolder appears as Web Module
       C2. Unhide sysfolder for non-admin
       R. Show subfolders has:
            R1: Tabs (default)
            R2: Sub-modules
            R3: Folder (Use pagetree, classic mode)

When choosing to check "C1", the sysfolder disappear from the pagetree
for anyone not being an admin of the installation. This could be
reverted by checking "C2" or some UserTS (like for DAM).

The idea of the feature is to hide the sysfolder and change its virtual
position as a Web Module in the left panel.

Here's what happen for people wants to edit news:
   1. Click on the News module on the left
      (name from the sysfolder or navigation title or whatever)
   2. Pagetree is hidden/removed
      (records in sysfolder are not part of the tree)
   3. Switch to "List view"
   4. Tabs for each subfolders appears in the right pane.
      (checking "Use pagetree instead of tabs" just remove steps 2 and 4)

With all this, people won't need the pagetree to find records sometimes
hidden under many levels of sysfolders. The "real" full pagetree is
still there for Admins.

Does all of this make sense to you? Is it worth the effort to code this
feature to help Editors in their job?

I mentioned tt_news but almost all extensions that needs records could
use this feature and I can see extensions with multiple tables getting
easier to use by making the visible link table=tab instead of listview
with multiple tables on the same sysfolder.

Sorry for being long.

Patrick "sysfolder" Gaumond