[TYPO3-hci] some wordings from BE

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed Nov 14 10:59:09 CET 2007

Hi Malte,

>> well, somebody else is using the keywords field very often as it is
>> important for SEO - another one is maintaining a intranet and has to
>> use fe_groups quite often. If you take all possibilities into account
>> you get the same result as currently.
>
> Your right. This why there should be kind of vote. Which are generally
> used.

You are free to start one. But that doesn't solve to overall problem,
that fields are not logically grouped by their functions. If you put
some fields for visibility/access to the main tab and some to a special
tab - where is the improvement?

>> Splitting this things up into well grouped tabs is from my point of
>> view a very necessary step and quite suitable for a default setup. If
>> somebody has to deal with certain fields quite often, he is free to
>> change the default TCA settings and arrange the fields for his needs -
>> it's really no big deal to do.
>
> You could it, but the main fields should be displayed in the main
> palette. I'm explaining editors the functions of t3. So you have fields
> which every editor uses for creating a new page and fields which the
> admin (who designed the homepage) makes, because there are to
> complicated for a normal user.

I understand your concern - I also train editors - so I know the
problems. But it's part of the admin to rearrange the fields for the
customers needs. There will never be a overall solution for all needs -
and every admin has it's own way to handle things. I can only speak for
the experience I have with my (DAU) customers.

In a previous posting you suggested something like a AJAX expansion for
palettes if I understood you correct. But where is the difference if I
click on the AJAX button or the tab to see the fields?

I think tabs are a good way of simplifying the backend and make it more
self explaining to the editors - but therefor the fields have to be
strictly grouped by their functions. And the grouping has to be suitable
for pages and tt_content to get a consistent handling.

That's my point of view.

--
Greetings,
Franz