[TYPO3-hci] some wordings from BE

Steffen Kamper steffen at sk-typo3.de
Wed Nov 14 11:09:41 CET 2007

"Franz Koch" <typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1195034350.24989.typo3-team-hci at lists.netfielders.de...
> Hi Malte,
>
>>> well, somebody else is using the keywords field very often as it is
>>> important for SEO - another one is maintaining a intranet and has to use
>>> fe_groups quite often. If you take all possibilities into account you
>>> get the same result as currently.
>>
>> Your right. This why there should be kind of vote. Which are generally
>> used.
>
> You are free to start one. But that doesn't solve to overall problem, that
> fields are not logically grouped by their functions. If you put some
> fields for visibility/access to the main tab and some to a special tab -
> where is the improvement?
>
>>> Splitting this things up into well grouped tabs is from my point of view
>>> a very necessary step and quite suitable for a default setup. If
>>> somebody has to deal with certain fields quite often, he is free to
>>> change the default TCA settings and arrange the fields for his needs -
>>> it's really no big deal to do.
>>
>> You could it, but the main fields should be displayed in the main
>> palette. I'm explaining editors the functions of t3. So you have fields
>> which every editor uses for creating a new page and fields which the
>> admin (who designed the homepage) makes, because there are to complicated
>> for a normal user.
>
> I understand your concern - I also train editors - so I know the problems.
> But it's part of the admin to rearrange the fields for the customers
> needs. There will never be a overall solution for all needs - and every
> admin has it's own way to handle things. I can only speak for the
> experience I have with my (DAU) customers.
>
> In a previous posting you suggested something like a AJAX expansion for
> palettes if I understood you correct. But where is the difference if I
> click on the AJAX button or the tab to see the fields?
>
> I think tabs are a good way of simplifying the backend and make it more
> self explaining to the editors - but therefor the fields have to be
> strictly grouped by their functions. And the grouping has to be suitable
> for pages and tt_content to get a consistent handling.

yes, and this is achieved now.
I tried to keep the tabs simular in all page types so it's logical and easy
to remember.
It's not easy to find a grouping that fit's all needs so we have to find the
most common way for it.

btw - if using palettes and not the option "Show secondary options
(palettes)" there is a button that hide/unhide palettes with JS.

vg  Steffen