[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Jun 23 20:57:54 CEST 2006

Quentin Dewhurst wrote:
> Throughout this discussion what i believe to be an improvement is being
> missinterpreted as a change to how backend editing currently works - this is
> not the case, simply how the content areas normal, right, border etc are a)
> named and b) represented to the user.  currently as it stands the backend is
> (for the majority of modern sites) at odds with the users mental model of
> their website.

It's not a misinterpretation. Everyone's acknowledged that what you are
suggesting is an improvement to the BE interface *in some cases*. The
thing is, not everyone agrees that it is an improvement in *all* cases.
Here's the deal:
1. There are already extensions that allow you to do this *if you want to*.
2. Thousands of installations already are familiar with both the current
FE and BE editing interfaces.
3. Standard documentation *cannot* be created for a system where there
is no standard interface (see the success of MS Office and Adobe
Photoshop book sales for an example of how documentation works for
standard interfaces for thousands of installations).
4. Without standard documentation, you can't expect adoption from either
developers, consultants or end-users. You may get it, but you can't
expect it.

That's all my point is.

> I believe it would be a good idea for me to articulate using mockup
> screenshots what I am invisioning on the wiki as soon as I can scrape
> together some spare time because email is not the easiest of mediums to get
> accross clearly what I personally have in mind as an improvement, which
> believe me isnt at odds to what any of you are defining as good about the
> system as it currently stands.

Screenshots are good. Let us know when you put them up.

Alex