[TYPO3-hci] The Constant Triptichon

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Jun 23 20:37:10 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:
> JoH wrote:
>

>> But since TYPO3 is a modular and extendable system, a BE module extension
>> would be a good choice to find out if this is what people really want.
>> IMHO a great number of the TV downloads is due to the fact that the tutorial
>> is called "futuristic template building" so maybe you should choose a
>> similar wording to get better results ;-)
>>

> ;=)
>
> What's the problem with TV anyway? Isn't that just what Quentin +2
> advocate? At least I remember that TV was supposed to be layout-based in
> the BE, but my memory might trick me.

The problem isn't TV, in and of itself. It's a tool like anything else.
The problem is when people develop with TV and the editors get confused
because their interface doesn't match the documentation that describes
how to do each task. The biggest problem is that, inherently, with TV
each editor interface can be different, which means from a documentation
standpoint there can be no standard documentation that shows editors
exactly how to edit in their site. Having no clearly-written standard
documentation is a "Bad Thing" for any software project that wants to
have widespread adoption by both consultants and endusers all over the
world. :)

On the plus side, since there is the choice to use TV, each person is
able to make the decision for themselves whether to have their BE
similar to the FE. This makes T3 more powerful than other CMSes, and
having the ability to extend the system so that a developer can
customize the BE if they want to is a great selling feature. But then,
this means each developer who customizes their BE may or may not need to
create "extension" docs. ;)

Alex

> Anyway, I see no point in doing FE-like BE-editing, so we've 3:4 and
> successfully turned the game ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

The tekdevelopment team