[TYPO3-hci] FE/BE Forms Library - two wishes

Sebastian Erlhofer erlhofer at mindshape.de
Mon Jun 19 17:17:12 CEST 2006

Hello,

> Web 2.0 applications
> are all exchange between different users, different servers, different
> media. The model of FE and BE is quickly dissolving. Everybody is editor
> everywhere.

But please don't forget that there is still plenty of one-to-many
communication in the web (websites of organizations, companies, etc). So
not everybody should edit the conent :)
Web 2.0 is fine, but in my eyes TYPO3 is primarly an CMS - not a wiki.

I guess the problem is somehow discussed a bit (too) technically atm.
The usability problem with a BE and a FE divided into two parts is some
kind different:

The user has to put content in a form (BE) and has to imaging what the
content will look like in FE. That's the problem with the usability.
Not for you and me perhaps, because we are trained and used to it. But
the novice user or the one, who uses an CMS rarely - he/she isn't
trained and has his holy problems to imagine what the content will look
like... while filling out the form and while saving it.

I guess this "problem" has to be solved at first in theoretical view and
then we should discuss the technical side - or even the programmers
should do. :)

What one could dream of is some kind of "smart editing", edit the
content in FE-view, but having all options of the backend (e.g. the page
tree). So perhaps something like the "view" entry in the menu.

Thats btw the way I know how the major commercial CMS solved it.

Just my 10cent for discussion :)
-sebastian