[TYPO3-hci] Some thoughts on context help

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon Jun 19 12:43:53 CEST 2006

Hello all and a nice start of the week :-)

Pondering about the 'less ways to do it'-thread I thought how much
easier the life even of experienced t3developers would be with an
improved inline help.

If you want to explore typo3 or look up something you once knew, the
context help shall be your friend. The problem is only, that in certain
areas of the BE (e.g. page types / page properties), the context help
has to serve two types of users, who in many cases have very different
needs: the site developers/admins and the authors. In its current
default state, there are many cases, where csh does not help either of
those. Those cases can be divided into two categories:

1) The easy case: wording of the label and/or the explanation is wrong
or lacks some necessary information.
2) the more complicated case: the information for the authors is
entirely dependent on how the site developer/admin has configured that item.

some ideas:

* add a new field for developer related help; internally it could be
devhelp, on the surface: developer's help, shows up as a second icon
(question mark) which I can enable through my user setup.

* a strict division between what is there by default when typo3 ships to
you and what a site developer/admin changes for the authors (perhaps
stored in a different file and then merged with the default values?)

* 'FE editing' for csh and labels. This way you could get rid of the
context field, because you have it in front of your eyes. (I personally
think it impossible to describe the context in a meaningfull way when
dealing with such complex forms).

Furthermore, one would not have to know which text is to be found in
which file and could have a really nice gui for editing the help files.
The current layout of ll xml is not what I would call comfortable.
Perhaps one could even use the RTE and thus having real markup? You
write html, using certain elements and classes and they are then
converted into docbook-xml?

Prosit, Uschi!