[TYPO3-hci] "Places Containing TypoScript" (PCT)

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Fri Jun 16 12:07:58 CEST 2006

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> Martin Ficzel schrieb am 14.06.2006 14:19:
>
>> 1. create page- and user-ts-config also as records in one special table
>> ( maybe sys_config )
>
> Why not sys_template? We already have that.

because i want to point out that config and setup are different things.

>> Benefit: get rid of the ts-config field in page header
>>
>> 2. allow subtemplating in these records like in normal ts records
>>
>> Benefit: allow a cleaner structure and seperation of configurations
>
> sys_template already does this.

i dont want to explain to users in wich context wich vocabulary to use.
sys_config >> config vocabulary , sys_template >> template vocabulary.
if the vocabulary is unified and the be-confuguration is collected in a
seperate namespace i think thats a good point.

>> 2. call the records different than now
>>    - sys_template (Template) >> "Frontend Configuration"
>>    - sys_config              >> "Backend Configuration"
>
> Why not just call everything just "Configuration"? There might be
> configuration options that are relevant for both FE and BE, why do I
> have to repeat them?

hmmm : do you mean to allow backend configuration in ts-setup. i'm not
shure maybe thats a possible way to go. but that would require to parse
the whole ts-setup for the be. the pure be-configuration is imho much
smaller. but yes it's all a configuration and should be called like
that. to calling it "script" is confusing users.

>> 3. enable to select "backend configuration" records in the be_user and
>> be_usergroup records.
>
> Interesting thought, but I think this is getting too complex. Maybe the
> current "merge the UserTS with the current configuration" is enough?
>
>> 4. unify the syntax and options for user and page configuration so they
>> fit into one table.

> We already have very good caching mechanisms for FE-templates which is
> already being used for rendering the FE. So using that in BE is a matter
> of calling the API to fetch the template for the current page. I've done
> that in some BE-modules "by hand" already and it works.

as i undertstand you suggest to unify the 3 ts kinds (template, page,
user) as one. i think it would be consequent to drop the user and page
tsconfig fields in that case and to user record relations instead
(point-3). there will be a second template caches for the usres wich has
to be merged in a defined manner at start but i think that this can also
be done with the current template api.

regards Martin