[TYPO3-hci] "Places Containing TypoScript" (PCT)

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Jun 14 17:19:37 CEST 2006

Martin Ficzel schrieb am 14.06.2006 14:19:

> 1. create page- and user-ts-config also as records in one special table
> ( maybe sys_config )

Why not sys_template? We already have that.

> Benefit: get rid of the ts-config field in page header
>
> 2. allow subtemplating in these records like in normal ts records
>
> Benefit: allow a cleaner structure and seperation of configurations

sys_template already does this.

> 2. call the records different than now
>    - sys_template (Template) >> "Frontend Configuration"
>    - sys_config              >> "Backend Configuration"

Why not just call everything just "Configuration"? There might be
configuration options that are relevant for both FE and BE, why do I
have to repeat them?

> Benefit: that would point out that ist is a configuration language wich
> is often very hard to understand for newbies.
>
> 3. enable to select "backend configuration" records in the be_user and
> be_usergroup records.

Interesting thought, but I think this is getting too complex. Maybe the
current "merge the UserTS with the current configuration" is enough?

> 4. unify the syntax and options for user and page configuration so they
> fit into one table.
>
> Benefit: try to explain the difference between page and user ts-config
> to someone and you will know what the benefit is ;-)) .>
>
> i know that seperating the configuration as records in a seperate
> db-table and allowing them to be recursive will cause more work on
> initializing the page but i think it is worth thinking about it.

We already have very good caching mechanisms for FE-templates which is
already being used for rendering the FE. So using that in BE is a matter
of calling the API to fetch the template for the current page. I've done
that in some BE-modules "by hand" already and it works.

Cheers,
Ernesto