[TYPO3-hci] ajax and conservative skins?

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Jun 14 23:42:55 CEST 2006

>> What you suggest sounds possible with MVC implemented. For 5.0 I'm
>> quite certain this is the way we will go. Maybe for 4.5 we will
>> allow an AJAX dependant backend (thereby moving further away from
>> GET/POST and lynx and blind people etc...)
> "therby moving further away from GET/Post and lynx and blind people
> etc..." Isn't exactly that just the main thing we don't want to do
> (move away from usuability)?

Well - accessibility and usability are two different things even though
there surely are some intersections.
The focus for 4.5 has always been usability and this might be accomplished
at the expense of accessibility only if we choose to go the AJAX way of
doing things.
But im still not sure if using AJAX will improve the overall usability since
it seems to be more performance related, if you are able to fetch different
parts of the BE dynamically instead of reloading the whole page.
Usability mainly depends on _what_ we will do and not _how_ we will realise
it.

As I already mentioned in another post, there are of course many different
target groups we have to take into consideration.
So maybe it will be wise to have at least two different options: The
streamlined (and accessible) BE and the fully blown AJAX monster.
A third option might be a flash based client, which is something that would
open up a lot of possiblities that you can only dream of while using an HTML
based BE.
But I guess this is too far away for 4.5

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.cybercraft.de