[TYPO3-hci] New to T3 internals - Is the backend abstracted?

t3hci at projekte.richdale.de t3hci at projekte.richdale.de
Tue Jun 13 22:53:09 CEST 2006

Hi.
I'm doing lots of professional web stuff with PHP, but I'm new to the
T3 internals. allthough I've administrated a 80 000 Hit/Month T3 Site
for a year.

What really bugs me - and probably lots of other people aswell - is
the scary backend. Needles to say that the 4.5 roadmap is a good thing
(TM).
Since I'm doing quite a lot of Open Source Flash Stuff aswell, I've
allways thought it would be cool to have a full-blown rich client
backend in Flash, XUL or something for one of these larger OSS CMSes.
Why not T3, I say? Since everybody here in germany is using it.
However, in order to achieve that, the backend would have to be
propery abstracted from all the rest, with the ability to do all
backend stuff with XML/XML Sockets/webservices/whatever rather than
the Frame HTML Stuff it does right now.

My question is: Is the T3 backend abstracted far enough to allow this
or is the new 4.5 backend aiming to be - pardon the crassness - a
huge, bolted-on, monolithic hack?

It would be exceptionally cool to be able to develop variant backends
on top of some sort of T3-backend-protocol or something, no?

What do you think?
Any Core Devs here who can comment on this?

Phillip