[TYPO3-hci] New to T3 internals - Is the backend abstracted?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Jun 14 00:46:43 CEST 2006

Hi Philip,

It sounds fantastic if you could help with a cool alternative backend
interface. I agree with your technical observation: We need an API.

For your questions:

> My question is: Is the T3 backend abstracted far enough to allow this
> or is the new 4.5 backend aiming to be - pardon the crassness - a
> huge, bolted-on, monolithic hack?

Could be either.

If our results around usability points out that we need to do many
changes that warrants an investment in underlying abstraction, that
is what we will do. We will also make sure our efforts are somehow
modern enough to go into 5.0 development in order not to waste time
on developing lots of soon-obsolete stuff.

If our results show the opposite we will make a big hack. Reason: The
lifetime of the 4.x branch is probably going to be 3-4 years with a
parallel overlap with 5.0 of say 2 years (just my ideas at this very
point in time, not necessarily what the R&D committee decides).

In case your ideas cannot be accommodated in the 4.5 designs they are
surely welcome in the 5.0 process.

Contributions to 5.0 will be possible later, please stay alert over
the summer for instructions on how to participate in that.

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"