[TYPO3-hci] Introduction

Cate & Peter catepeter at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 11 13:16:26 CEST 2006

Hi all

I haven't quite read my way through the archives of emails to get up to
speed, but I thought I would introduce myself now, and wade through them
later.

I am Cate, and if you want to know what a newbie thinks of the useability of
something, be sure to ask me :-) Although I have known about Typo3 for a
couple of years, other than opening the admin screen and running screaming
in terror, it is only the last 3 months I have been using the CMS.

I come from a business management background, with a little html/css that I
have taught myself through using Dreamweaver for 5 years.  Code makes my
eyes glaze over, as do long explanations of why something does this - I am
interested only in how: step one, step two.

My involvement with Typo3 is because I have a dream project that I have been
waiting 6 years to develop becs back then I would have had to pay a coder,
and I didn't have a spare $1m (the going rate for a CMS developer in
1999/2000 in Australia) for the system. Now Typo3 can do all I want to do
... if only I can work out which extensions to use, then debug them with my
setup.

So I am teaching myself on the run, while a partner starts to develop the
content. The project is a community information portal, which means it has a
number of different functions, requiring a number of extensions.

Long term my aim is to step back and hire a coder to manage the development
of the site, and hopefully also to contribute to the development of the CMS
by developing integrated solutions to upload for public use, but I feel I
really need to understand the system myself first before I can be confident
that I am hiring someone competent in the development of usable functions.

I am not going to pretend I am something I am not, so if I ask a dumb
question, perhaps that 'dumbness' can be heard as "oh, a new user doesn't
realise this - hence is part of our usability discussion" rather than simply
flaming me, hey?? :-) I have spent hundreds of hours searching for the
solutions to my problems, so it isn't that I am so ignorant and lazy that I
won't try first.

Look forward to the discussion, and if I can help I will.

Regards

Cate