[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Mon Jun 12 08:23:31 CEST 2006

Hi,

>> harder. I'd be really interested in how many people have ever used
>> moint points, spacer and recycler (and would miss them for other
>> reasons than legacy...). Maybe we should make a survey of unused
>> features...

Up to two days ago I ignored the page types mount point, shortcut,
external url, because, due to insufficient inline documentation, it was
not quite clear to me, what they are good for.

> We used moint points and also spacer in a few projects. It's not very
> often, but that's what makes Typo3 so great: you can use it even for
> not-standard-projects. Removing features should really not be the focus,
> if we don't want to get rid of one big strength of Typo3.

Right you are! The fact, that a feature is not used very often, does not
necessarily mean that it is not usefull. There are thousands of
academics, who are writing very long documents in word and control the
page break by just producing paragraphs and redoing it again and again,
just because inserting a real page break is hidden somewhere under insert.

> The possibility to reduce the Backend for some Editors is a must have.
> Reducing the backend admistritators and developers should be done where
> possible without doing compromises to functionality and flexibility.
>
> However I don't think the amount of features should be a problem for an
> admistrator or a developer - this kind of ppl should be able to ignore
> features they don't want to use yet, otherwise they might not be
> qualified for the job... ?

It is not only a question of 'not wanting to use them'. I simply ignored
   Mount point at first, because I could not figure out at first what it
is good for. For a none Linux user neither the word mount nor the
explanation is of any help. It would improve the usability of t3 a lot,
if patient people would go through the inline documentation step by step
and concentrate on wording. I started with 3.8.1 and I remember being
surprised when I pressed 'Edit page title'.

Prosit, Uschi