[TYPO3-hci] new install tool

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Sun Jun 11 12:35:46 CEST 2006

Andreas Balzer wrote:

> I would like to see a progressbar showing how much time or steps it will
> take to the end.

What is unclear about "Stage 2" in 1-2-3 mode?

> A help that gives tips would be fine too.

Since installing TYPO3 does not take ages like Windows, no use for a
"filler" with tips or adversisement.

> Automatic
> tools like finding imagemagic (for example) would be nice (if someone is
> not able to find it, but is sure to has it installed.)

Yes, that's coming.

> And my wish for the structure: It should be possible to see everything
> in a "wizard"-view. So that you change 1 part and then click on "Next".
> (Of course it should be possible to return to the "old way"..)

Wizards are hell except for initial setup (like 1-2-3 install wizard)
because they require ridiculous amounts of clicking without need.

Since the Install Tool is rather a configuration tool (99% of the time),
we should make it behave like this. This means settings grouped
logically, only a few per screen, with tabs for sub-modules.

Think OS X settings or for you Windows users the system settings.

I'm just writing an RFC for a re-worked install tool that is targetted
for 5.0 but may be in 4.5 already because the install tool is rather a
stand-alone component.

Cheers,
Michael