[TYPO3-hci] new install tool

Andreas Balzer eMail at andreas-balzer.de
Sun Jun 11 14:08:32 CEST 2006

Michael Scharkow schrieb:
> Andreas Balzer wrote:
>
>> I would like to see a progressbar showing how much time or steps it
>> will take to the end.
>
> What is unclear about "Stage 2" in 1-2-3 mode?
>
>> A help that gives tips would be fine too.
>
> Since installing TYPO3 does not take ages like Windows, no use for a
> "filler" with tips or adversisement.
Look at "All configuration", then you'll see what i mean. If you do not
take this step, you have a poorly installed TYPO3. These options should
1) be set automatic as far as possible
2) be restructured
3) be presented with a progress bar ;)

>> Automatic tools like finding imagemagic (for example) would be nice
>> (if someone is not able to find it, but is sure to has it installed.)
>
> Yes, that's coming.
Nice.

>> And my wish for the structure: It should be possible to see everything
>> in a "wizard"-view. So that you change 1 part and then click on
>> "Next". (Of course it should be possible to return to the "old way"..)
>
> Wizards are hell except for initial setup (like 1-2-3 install wizard)
> because they require ridiculous amounts of clicking without need.
But they focus on the current "step". Of course it should be possible to
view everything in the old way, but i think it would make configuration
much easier.

> Since the Install Tool is rather a configuration tool (99% of the time),
> we should make it behave like this. This means settings grouped
> logically, only a few per screen, with tabs for sub-modules.

Or this way..
> Think OS X settings or for you Windows users the system settings.
Aha

> I'm just writing an RFC for a re-worked install tool that is targetted
> for 5.0 but may be in 4.5 already because the install tool is rather a
> stand-alone component.
Well, it's not a complete stand-alone component, because it depends on
the same config files as TYPO3 itself. I think it would be useful, to
have a "repair TYPO3" option, even if localconf.php is broken. (of
course, passwords should be needed for access)

Greetings
Andreas