[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Thu Jun 8 15:10:34 CEST 2006

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> Think of page types as file types. It is a very practical concept. In
> our case there are no reason to distinguish between "Standard" and
> "Advanced" in this way - that distinction should be handled with tabs.
> Also "Not in menu" is obviously a thing to change.
> But shortcut, external URL, mount point? Those are very practical to
> keep distinct because they do radically different things than a normal
> page - just like a sys_folder is much different! Even for your idea of
> steering the page module display by page type this comes in handy as
> shortcut and external url pages would call for different display!

Thanks for summarizing so nicely my intention: The concept of page type
is flawed not technically or in terms of flexibility, but in semantics:

*IF* as you yourself state a sysfolder or shortcut is radically
different than a plain page, why can they be used interchangeably, why
does a user have to create a page instead of a sysfolder? The typical
user does not care about the implementation or historical reasons for
having page types.

Greetings,
Michael