[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Thu Jun 8 00:27:01 CEST 2006

Hi Michael,

Generally, I applaud to clean these things up. There are good
perspectives in your base mail. Here I comment a few things critically:

>> But why remove external and shortcut? At least the former is clearly
>> distinct from other page types.
>
> Isn't external just a shortcut to outside the page tree? I've never
> used
> it, but I wonder why we can't treat it as a shortcut, and have a
> shortcut tab where you can set the target and some options, etc.

Think of page types as file types. It is a very practical concept. In
our case there are no reason to distinguish between "Standard" and
"Advanced" in this way - that distinction should be handled with
tabs. Also "Not in menu" is obviously a thing to change.
But shortcut, external URL, mount point? Those are very practical to
keep distinct because they do radically different things than a
normal page - just like a sys_folder is much different! Even for your
idea of steering the page module display by page type this comes in
handy as shortcut and external url pages would call for different
display!
Finally, shortcut, external URL, mount point and sys folders - they
will all need different fields displayed: some additional, some hidden.

So I think you reduce it too far. Lets think about:
- What page types stay?
- For those types, what fields are shown (and arranged how in tabs!)
- How could page module display depend on each page type? (here, I'm
more in favour of letting the page module _implement_ the list module
instead of removing "Web > List" which will be nice for expert users.

>> I don't think that mount-points should be merged into another page
>> type.
>
> What's the point of mount points? Isn't it just a shortcut of sorts...

Those are used by many.

>> I rarely used spacer and recycler, but again I see no urge to
>> remove them.

I think they are rare. Spacer could potentially be used by some as a
menu-division element.
Recyclers - in fact they represent a concept that never materialized;
deletion of elements should be moved to closest recycler in tree was
my original idea 7 years ago... :-)

- kasper

> Features that are never used bloat the interface and make maintainance
> harder. I'd be really interested in how many people have ever used
> moint
> points, spacer and recycler (and would miss them for other reasons
> than
> legacy...). Maybe we should make a survey of unused features...
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"